Simona Halep will not be participating at this year’s edition of the French Open at Roland Garros.
The 2018 French Open champion made the disclosure on Friday. Halep announced that her decision to withdraw from this year’s tournament was influenced by a calf injury sustained at the Rome open earlier this month.
Halep’s calf injury was sustained in her second-round match in Rome on the 12th of May. The reigning Wimbledon champion explained in her statement that the injury needed more time to heal and the French Open will come too soon for that to happen.
“Unfortunately the tear in my left calf muscle needs more time to recover and the timeline is just too short,” Halep said, according to AFP. “Withdrawing from a Grand Slam goes against all my instincts and aspirations as an athlete, but it is the right and only decision to make,” she said.
“The thought of not being in Paris fills me with sadness, but I will focus my energy on recovery, staying positive and getting back on court as soon as it is safe to do so. Roland Garros 2022, I’m coming for you, A bientot,” the world number three concluded.
The French Open is scheduled to begin on the 30th of May and conclude on the 13th of June. Rafa Nadal and Igia Swiatek are the current champions of the men singles and women singles category respectively.